Impreza GC8 Track / Time Attack Build - Nor Cal Subaru Forums: NorCalSubies.com
Nor Cal Subaru Forums: NorCalSubies.com  

Go Back   Nor Cal Subaru Forums: NorCalSubies.com > Locals Lounge > Members' Journals

Old 11-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
LordGagan

NCS addict since Apr 2010

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Default Impreza GC8 Track / Time Attack Build

2000 Impreza 2.5RS Mod List

Car: 2000 Impreza 2.5RS
Engine: 2.5L EJ25 SOHC
Power: 166 HP 166 TQ
Weight: 2440 lbs / Wet
Purpose built: Track days / Time Attack

Engine:
- 2002 Subaru Forester motor
- Hayden Oil Relocation Kit
- Oil Cooler
- Greddy Catch can
- COBB Cold Air Intake
- Borla Equal Length Headers
- Mid Track Pipe
- Apex’i N1Catback Exhaust
- Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
- ClutchNet 4 Puck Stage 3 Racing Clutch

Exterior:
- STI Rally Blue Paint
- C-West Front air dam
- C-West side skirts
- Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood
- Seibon Carbon Fiber Trunk
- Carbon Fiber 3D GT Wing
- APR Carbon GT3 Mirrors
- STI Fog light covers
- Lexan rear windows
- Lexan rear windshield
- Custom front air splitter
- Sunroof deleted

Interior:
- Sparco 330 Swede Steering wheel
- Sparco Pro 2000 Racing Bucket Seat
- R.J.S 5 Point racing harness
- Polymer White Shift knob
- Shifter Extender
- Lightweight battery relocated to the trunk
- Battery Kill switch

Suspension:
- Cusco Zero1R Coilovers
- Cusco Springs: F12 kg / R10 kg
- Cusco Rear Differential Brace
- Whiteline Race Anti-Lift Kit
- STI Aluminum Control Arms
- Offensive power Fender braces
- Front JDM GC8 STI Carbon Fiber Strut bar
- Alien Fabrication Exhaust Bushings
- Hawk HPS + Break pads

Wheels and Tire:
- Enkei RPF1 17x8 +45 Offset Racing wheels
- 235/40/17 Yokohama Advan A032R S Compound Tires

Future mods:
- 6 Point SCCA/NASDA spec weld in roll cage
- Rear Whiteline Swaybar
- STI break upgrade

Hello All!

My name is Gagan Johal. I am from town called Fairfield in Northern California.
Whether or not you read my long boring tale of how I got started into racing and building my track car, please check out my Impreza below and show some love and respect. Cheers!

Starting up…

It has always been my dream to build a track car. Ever since I can remember I have been intrigued by JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) vehicles. With their small displacement engines roaring though the street, taking on the bigger and more powerful cars. To have such potential in such small cars made me realize that you do need a big engine in a car or even a lot of money to build them, you just need to have love of cars.

Inspiration…

I grew up around people who raced and worked on cars on the daily basis. Watching them swap motors and tune their engine gave me the desire to learn more about cars.
Just watching them do work and not knowing enough about engines only inspired me to learn faster and get deeper into car culture.

Inspiration can come from anywhere, whether it’s videos or anime. For me it came from watching Best Motoring and Hot Version videos from Japan. If you do not know what those videos are please look them up. Although most of those videos are in Japanese language, gear heads like us can still understand them. As soon as I watched one, I was hooked. Those videos have it all, from Keichi Tsuhiyia drifting his AE86 through the mountains to Super GT cars breaking records at Suzuka Circuit. Also, anime such as Initial D and Wangan Midnight inspired car lovers like me all over the world.

It did help that I lived close to mountain roads myself. So After I would watch Hot Version videos, I would take my car into these mountains and try my luck out. Although it was fun I soon realize that driving through those mountain roads was not only challenging but also dangerous. It got so bad that I ended up crashing my car. Although I wasn’t hurt I came to realization that driving fast on streets can seriously injure me or worst it can injure someone else. Getting off the street driving did not slow me down when it came to working on cars.

A few years have passed and I started to have more and more itch to get on the track. My passion turned into obsession. I would go to all these track day events alone just to watch people run their cars. It was time for me to get onto the next step.

Car selected…

I soon decided to buy my all time favorite car, a 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS coupe. I always liked how it looked. Even thought it was not a WRX or a STI, I was in love with older body style. I bought to for the sole purpose of making it into a full on track car. I liked the feeling of driving an AWD car. I knew it was lighter than WRX and STI. I started getting deeper into Subaru car culture. Going to Subaru meets and talking to guys about the car.
Not having any past experience, I took my Impreza on the track. Not knowing what laid ahead, I pushed my stock Subie to its maximum potential. Driving for the first time on track made me realize how much I did not know about racing. As I pushed my car on the track, reality hit hard as I below my motor. It was back to square one for me. Tight for money, I waited another year until I swapped a 2001 Forester motor and went at it again.

Tuning and Racing philosophy…

In the words of a wise person, “It is more fun to drive a slow car fast, than the fast car slow”. I tend to stick to that quote. If you read my modifications, I have a mildly tuned car. People ask me “is your car turbo? When will you swap a STI motor in it?”
I believe that you should start from ground up. Learn how to drive your car before you modify it. Grow with a car and add parts as you master the techniques of driving. Anyone can add more power in their cars, but it takes a true driver to use it to its full potential. I am in no hurry to finish my car as I continue to learn the dynamics or tuning and racing.

I have been tracking my car for few years now, there is not a day that I don’t learn something new about racing, whether its suspension tuning or the science of aerodynamics. With help from few of my close friends I continue to take my car to the next level. I will continue to build my car as well as better myself as a driver. I hope to follow my dream and keep racing in the years ahead.

Thanks to…

I would like to thank the following people who helped me with this build.
First and foremost, my wife who supported this obsession of mine,
Brother Aman Johal.

Narek Gabrielian DIY Fabrications - facebook.com/pages/DIYroadster/
Daniel Baxter from VIPdout.com for taking professional pictures - flickr.com/danielbphotography

Josh Durham, Anthony Wong, Robert Ljuba, Kelby Chao and many more that came forward and lend their precious time.

Thank you for reading my story. I will keep on updating this page as I go further into my build so stay tuned! Check out my car. Please share your thoughts. See you on the track!
LordGagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
LordGagan

My progress through the build, please check out the pic and share your thoughts

Old 01-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
kchao707

NCS addict since Dec 2011

Car: RBP GC8 2.0

gagan u are everywhere
kchao707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
LordGagan

I try to be.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
X379

fun fun fun
X379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
subieone

NCS addict since Jan 2012

Car: rio red 1990 legacy l

awssome
subieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
stupidchicken03
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGagan View Post
I try to be.
You've been MIA on iclub for a while tho
stupidchicken03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
LordGagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchao707 View Post
gagan u are everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03 View Post
You've been MIA on iclub for a while tho
true i have been bro..im back now tho..i want to win that turbosmart contest!

so help brotha!